“Apart from me, you can do nothing.” (Jesus)
That’s pretty clear. It is part of a teaching found in John 15. There, Jesus emphasizes te need for a disciple to find rest in Jesus. We have to “abide” or “remain” in him – in Jesus – or we won’t accomplish anything. Of course, he includes a wonderful teaching on how to do that. He talks about a vine and vine dresser – seasons of growth and pruning back, seasons of productivity and idleness. You can learn more in our write up on the discipleship tool we call “The Semi-Circle” (It’s one of the Life Shapes developed by 3DM.)
Based on this, the FCMC Stewards adopted an annual rhythm for MC life.
Building on the Semi-Circle, we begin from rest. To be productive, our strategy should be to work from our rest. So we’re about to enter a restful time – followed by a productive time. Rest, by the way, doesn’t mean inactivity. It simply means different, renewing activity.
This is an idea of the rhythm we hope to adopt:
- Restful: June – Early August
- Productive: August – November
- Restful: Thanksgiving – Early January
- Productive: Mid January – Early June
These are the sort of Restful Activities we’ll engage in:
- Retreats (Best toward the end of a restful time)
- Mission Trips.
- Leadership development and enrichment.
- Weekly/Bi-weekly gatherings, mainly for prayer and fellowship.
- Weekly/Bi-Weekly Weekly gatherings for active training in discipleship
- Mission engagement (hands-on, face-to-face)
- Periodic healing services
- Inviting neighbors to activities
- Planning Meetings
During all seasons, we will…
- Gather for Worship to celebrate what God is doing on the First Coast!