Drawn from conversations with people from 3dm and Wayne Bauer. The tools themselves are drawn from Building a Discipling Culture by Mike Breen available through 3DM.
The Three Triangles are
Balanced Life: Up-In-Out
The triangles and circle complement and reinforce each other. Learning to use them together can be kind of fun. It would probably help to review the Learning Circle and the three Triangles and to draw and label the shapes independently and overlaid on a separate sheet of paper.
1) When we have a Kairos, it is an encounter with God. It is also an Up. We encounter the Father. We meet the King. This occur at the same point on the overlaid diagrams.
2) From that kairos moment, we turn and work around the ask the questions “What is God saying about me? About himself? Or about our relationship?” Finding answers to these questions gives us a new, renewed, or clarified identity as God’s child and leads us to recognize the authority entrusted to us as citizens in God’s Kingdom.
This also drives our need for fellowship with others in God’s family. Our identity and authority is confirmed in community (IN) and most often expressed there as well.
3) As a result of what God has said about us, we move to the Believe side of the circle and do something about what God has said. This is very important for moving OUT with confidence that we are serving according to God’s will and doing so in a way that advances God’s Kingdom in power and brings glory to God because it is done in obedience to him.
4) Going around the circle returns us to “UP” and we come to know God more deeply through experience. Putting God’s commands into practice helps us to know God better and we bring glory to God.
Questions for Reflection:
1) How can keeping the points of three triangles in mind help you have a productive conversation as you lead someone around the circle?
2) How do “In”, “Identity”, and “Authority” related to what God may be saying about us? About himself? Or about His relationship with us?
3) Can you think of biblical stories of people encountering God and gaining a new sense of identity, discovering authority, or being brought into community? What happened as a result? Any evidence of God’s Kingdom advancing or God being glorified? (If you can’t think of one, look at Exodus 3 or Acts 2.)
4) Is God saying anything? What will you do about it?